Pages

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Honey BBQ Meatloaf with a Twist


I love the taste of meatloaf. I don't love that it takes a whole pound of meat and in our house we don't usually get even two meals out of it. My solution? Sneak in some lentils for to double the volume and protein at a fraction of the cost. I tried finding an existing recipe for what I had in mind, but nothing quite matched. So I used my go-to meatloaf recipe as a base and doubled it.  But here is the twist, I only added one pound of ground beef and swapped out the second pound for lentils. 
         It turned out to be a win-win. We get twice as many meals with the same amount of meat and after six years of marriage I finally have a lentil recipe that is hubby approved! (In other words, the flavor of the lentils is completely undetectable. Honest. It would not be hubby-approved if it you could still taste them!)

Honey BBQ Meatloaf with a Twist


  • 2 tsp beef bouillon granules
  • 2 tbsp hot water
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup quick-cooking oats
  • 2/3 cup honey barbecue sauce
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 cup uncooked lentils
  • ketchup




In a small saucepan cook lentils in 2 cups of water for 20-30 minutes until tender (more instructions here).

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl until well mixed. Spread into two loaf pans or a 9x9 casserole dish.

Bake at 350 for approx. 1 hour. Top with ketchup if desired and bake for 5-10 minutes more.




No comments:

Post a Comment